Sunday, August 14, 2011

Minute by minute

In a minute I'm going to say something that will slam my pride up against a brick wall, something I'd rather ignore, but something I think most of us probably feel about ourselves: I tend to be a slow learner. I'm convinced that before something "clicks" in my head, I'll get it wrong 100 times! I suppose I need to learn what NOT to do, before I can learn how to do it properly. Is anyone else like that? I sure hope so!

I struggled for a long time with walking in the Spirit. I just didn't understand why I kept slipping back into the "flesh". Basically, what that means is that I kept acting like the person I used to be before I gave my life over to Jesus Christ. I'd worry, I'd get angry, I'd say something I shouldn't say, do something I shouldn't do...etc etc.

Finally, things are starting to click! I'm starting to understand that we don't walk in grace by opening up God's word and reading it for 30 minutes each morning. That certainly plays a part, but it doesn't solve the problem so to say (at least not for me!) Walking with Christ, is minute by minute. I'm learning that by praying to Him often during my day, listening to music that brings glory to Him, talking to my kids about Him, and well, let's let scripture speak for itself, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." Philippians 4:8. I'm always asking Him to keep me in line...but mostly, to just get me out of my own way. I try to do it my way, and my walk with Him crumbles. I'm just no good, He is!

I've also learned something else very important, probably the biggest key for me. When I do mess up, when I do make the choice to sin...He's still there. I tend to be a little like Jonah. Sin, run from God, try to hide, ignore what I know is right, and well, you know the story. I'm rather familiar with the belly of the whale. I'm learning that I don't have to clean myself up, get rid of my sin (as if that's possible!) before coming to Christ to ask Him for another chance. The second I feel myself walking away from Him, the second I feel temptation/worry/etc creep into my mind. I can stop right then, and invite Him to take control. I can go read scripture, I can pray, I can sing a song of praise...He always gives us a way, a "direct hotline" so to say.

And yes, I know, these are very "elementary" things to learn when it comes to walking with the Lord. But, as most of us know...knowing and doing are two very different things. I'm going to continue to be an absolute mess, without Christ. I'm going to continue to sin against Him, to worry, and to make mistakes. But, I'm also going to continue to trust in His grace, His love, and His mercy.

Another thing I'm finally learning (told you I was a slow learner!) My life is not my own. I serve a God who paid the price for my life. Jesus Christ paid with His blood to save me. When I make a choice on how to live my life, it needs to be pleasing to Him, it needs to bring glory to His name.

Such simple concepts. You know what they say though, better late than never. I'm so thankful that Christ lets us walk with Him minute by minute...

No comments:

Post a Comment